Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Monkshood...



...is another interesting flower. They line the stream beds in the French Henry area and bloom during the second half of the summer. I like the shape of the bloom, and how it's separated from the leaves; I think it lends a dramatic flair to the flower. Does the shape of the bloom remind you of something? Like a monk, wearing his hood? (Also, they're poisonous, so don't eat them, mkay?)

As for photography, do you notice how the flower is normally lit/colored, but the background is very dark? You can see the same thing in this shot, of Mountain Bluebells:



Obviously y'all are smart enough to know that the reason for the lighting differences is flash. It illuminated the flowers, but not the relatively empty background. Now, some people are very anti-flash. I don't love it, but I don't hate it either. I generally try to shoot without it, but will turn it on when necessary. I actually really like the effect in the first photo, because I think it draws attention to the flower. I don't like it as much in the second photo, but it was too dark to get a clear shot without a flash. (Obviously I just need a better lens with a wider aperture, so I don't have to use a flash if I don't want to...or a tripod...or both...)

So yeah...flowers are pretty, and flash isn't evil. =)

(Please forgive the lack of real content in this post, and the sporadic updates lately. Midterms stole all my time...)

Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful!! I have been greatly influenced by the "anti-flash" folk ... but sometimes I find the urge to use it quite irresistable - and I'm enjoying the results! So my current theory is - as little flash as possible ... but it's fine on occasion!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It does look like a monk wearing a hood!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE the first pic! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

I heart my commenters! =)